Friday, January 3, 2014

Thai Cooking: Pad Thai

After my cooking lesson last November in Thailand, I resolved to "re-create" the Pad Thai recipe for my family this Christmas.
all important recipe guide

preparing everything - had to use chicken instead of prawn

I know, I know - cheating a little bit with a prepackaged Pad Thai sauce

The original recipe (good for 1):

70 gram thin rice noodle
4-6 prawns
1 egg
1 tbsp hard Tofu
1 tbsp dried shrimp
1/2 tbsp chopped garlic
1/2 tbsp chopped shallot
1/2 cup bean sprout
1/2 cup garlic chives
1 tbsp water
2 tbsp chopped roasted peanut
4 tbsp Pad Thai sauce **

** Pad Thai sauce (for 4 tbsp) - mix all together

1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tbsp white sugar
1/2 tbsp palm sugar
1 tbsp fish sauce
1 tbsp tamarind paste or vinegar
1 tbsp oyster sauce

1) Soak noodle in tap water for 20 minutes.
2) Heat wok. Put oil in pan and sautee garlic and shallots. Add prawns , dried shrimp, tofu. Stir fry until prawn is cooked. Set aside on pan.
3. Break egg into pan and stir until cooked. Set aside on pan.
4. Add noodles and water. Stir until noodle is soft.
5. Add Pad Thai sauce in the noodle and stir until noodle is cooked and dried. 
6. Add bean sprouts and chives. Stir everything together until cooked.
7. Put in a bowl, sprinkle roast peanut, add one slice of lime and top with coriander leaves. 


Ta-daaaaa!!!!
Since there were 4 of us, I just tripled the recipe. Overall, the dish was flavorful. Right combination of salty, sweet and sour. However, I think next time I would add some salt while stir frying the chicken. I would also cook the noodles a bit more since mine was a little chewy. All in all, not bad :) Can't wait to cook the curry!

No comments:

Post a Comment