Saturday, August 17, 2013

Cru Steakhouse At Marriott : Swankiest Yet

I don't usually eat at hotel restaurants because, well, it's freaking expensive :-) So when I found myself at Cru Steakhouse Restaurant at Marriott Hotel located at New World Resort, Pasay on a Wednesday night, it was courtesy of a generous friend.

First impression? Swanky! The interior is very dark and luxurious, the banquet seating was very very comfortable and curved just right at the back, menu had leather covering and the stiff paper inside feels like it was just printed that day. There is an open kitchen in the middle where you can see all your food being prepared. 

Complimentary bread
The complimentary bread was very generous and had three flavors; spinach, herb and cheese. Very soft and freshly baked. It was accompanied by a soft cheese with red peppercorn and butter. Yum! 

French Onion Soup with Gruyere Toast- P350
The French Onion Soup was served in a shallow bowl with a crusty bread and shredded cheese on top. First time I ate French Onion Soup so forgive my ignorance when I was so surprised that you could hardly taste the onion. The broth had deep flavor, robust and did not need any adjustment at all. Very good and it was enough for two ... or one hungry customer. 


Shrimp Gumbo with Long Grain Rice - P350
I liked the grilled prawn on top of the Shrimp Gumbo with Long Grain Rice. The grilling really adds something to the seafood base. I like the grittiness of the vegetables and the broth itself was superb. There were some white rice which I found odd but hey, it works. Very nice comfort soup especially on a cold night. 

Bourbon Glazed Salmon with Asian Slaw and
Warm Potato Salad - P1,100
Sadly, our budget was limited so we weren't able to order the steak which starts at about P2,500++ (that would already be my family's market budget for the week). Instead, we ordered the Bourbon Glazed Salmon and Barbeque Ribs.

I have never been a fan of Salmon. The only one I tolerate is the Baked Salmon at Conti's and only then because it has the garlic/cheese topping. May I say now that the Bourbon Glazed Salmon at Cru's blew me away! First, the size was big - about 250 grams. It was more than enough for 2 person. They served it to us very hot (even at the center) but not overcooked. The taste is amazingly fresh. Although the potato salad was okay, the Asian slaw had that right combination of sweet and sour. A week later and I am still raving about it and want to order it again. This will be the salmon which I will gauge all salmon from now on :P hehe. 


Full Rack of BBQ Ribs with Asian Slaw - P1,300
Since we were so enamored with the Salmon, we didn't get to the BBQ Ribs until very much later and unfortunately it got cold. Nevertheless, it was still good. Could be better since they were so stringy with the sauce. We had to ask the waiter if we can have more BBQ sauce and it was a bit of a wait since they had to make it from scratch. Unlike the other ribs were you have to scrape the bones to get some meat, this one had a good amount of meat on it. Big enough for 3 person. You can choose 2 side dishes with the ribs.We ordered baked potato (the sour cream, chives and bacon bits are on the side) and grilled Portobello Mushroom. First time I tasted Portobello Mushroom and again, amazing. I could have put that mushroom on a burger bun and called it a day. 

We skipped dessert because we were already full and all the ones with chocolate were not available. 

The Verdict?

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaay out of my budget. You eat here if you have something special to celebrate or you have monstrous discounts (like my friend). But if you have the means, then definitely splurge. The quality and quantity of the food is superb. For me, I would definitely save up and try their steak next time. 

Our total bill was around P4000 ++ (with a glass of sparkling wine for my friend). With the 50% membership discount and P1000 discount coupon, my friend only paid about P995. Score! For regular meals, expect to shell out P2,000 - P2,500/person.

Reservation is a must.

They have set menus that the waitstaff said was especially created by the Executive Chef to make a perfect meal. Find the complete set here

Cru Steakhouse - Marriott Hotel
Resorts World
Newport, Pasay
Tel 63-2-9889999

No comments:

Post a Comment