Friday, November 14, 2014

La Marea : Premier Dessert Place in Cebu?

I'm always on the look out for a great dessert place. So while in Cebu, I checked out some sites looking for some decent desserts. La Marea keeps coming up on my search items and the reviews were very positive. Some foodies even indicating that La Marea had the "best desserts I've tasted!".

Interior at La Marea @ Crossroads Banilad

We stopped by La Marea on a Saturday night. Their branch at Crossroads is really small with limited seating. But luckily, a group just left so we were able to get two small tables. The interior was well lit but was so weirdly designed with a giant octopus picture and half a canoe sticking out a wall. All I can think of is what a shame that this place was not designed better.

surreal

But as my friend said, we were here for dessert.

such a varied selection of dessert things




I think this was a Baked Alaska 




It looked like their cakes and pies were pretty reasonable with items ranging from P100-135. After a short discussion, we had the Pecan Pie Tart with Ice Cream (P135) and the recommended Original Warm Brownie Cup (P105).



The Pecan Pie Tart is small as you can see, There was a lot of pecan pieces on top but not inside the filling. The filling was just okay - not too sweet. Pie crust was also okay and not too hard. Ice cream, of course, makes everything taste better :)



I was really looking forward to the Warm Brownie Cup since everyone seems to be raving about it. So I had high expectations. When it was served, the brownie was warm and there was a nice scoop of ice cream on top. The brownie was soft, not too sweet which I liked but it was too cake-y (if that is even a word). I like my brownie a little bit undercooked and have a slighly more fudge-like quality.



I could not help but compare it to a similar product I bought at a supermarket in the U.S. which was a microwavable brownie cup. Unfortunately, that one was better than the one I ate at La Marea. My other friends liked it enough but they also agreed it wasn't the best dessert they've had.


How crazy that a dessert place has cocktails?!


Final Verdict

La Marea had good enough desserts but not exactly the greatest I've ever tasted. They have a lot of items to choose from and their prices are reasonable. Maybe worth another visit to check out their other desserts.

No comments:

Post a Comment