Friday, April 3, 2015

Burger and Brewskies: In Search of the Perfect Burger 1

I'm not really a fan of burgers but lately I've been craving for some big, juicy, meaty burger. The kind I had one summer in Baltimore, Maryland. I could never forget that burger since it was so big  (no joke - almost as big as my face), cooked all the way through but very juicy and not dry at all. It was just seasoned with salt and pepper, slapped on a bun and ketchup was added. Perfect.

In honor of that delicious memory, I tried 2 burger restaurants this week. The first one was Burger&Brewskies at BGC  - near Mind Museum and located at Burgos Circle.

After checking out the menu, my friends and I finally opted for The Kandi and the Call the Nurse burger.

The Kandi - 1/3 lbs beef patty with roasted garlic aioli,
B&B cheese sauce, onion confi and spiced candied bacon - P265

The Kandi burger was smaller than I expected, beef patty was nicely cooked to medium, cheese sauce runnier than I would have liked but the spiced candied bacon was spot on. I could eat the bacon all by itself as a side order (hmm ... wonder if I can?). Overall, a nice good burger (better than most burgers I've tasted) but I would have liked the patty to be a bit bigger to have that big, juicy effect that I crave.

I feel I could eat 2 of these

Call the Nurse - 1/3 lbs beef patty, spiced mustard aioili,
B&B cheese sauce, seared mac and cheese, honey sriracha bacon - P280

One of their best seller is the Call the Nurse burger. Intriguing choice of name but not sure why. It's still the same burger patty but with some mac and cheese,honey sirarcha bacon and mustard aioli. Truth to tell the aioili (a fancy name for mayonnaise with garlic) did not stand out much and although the mac and cheese was certainly different, it did little to add to the flavor of the burger. The siraracha bacon had that bit of spice and oh-so-crunchy. Overall a filling and nice burger. 

Kick-Ass Spuds - fried marble potato salad with bacon,
chili pepper and scallion - P85
The Kick-Ass Spuds. What can I say? I love my spuds but this one was special. The combination of the mayonnaise with a hint of spiciness and crunchy bacon was a winning combination. I didn't feel the heat until much later and it was a pleasant nudge instead of a kick.  Adequate serving for the price. Among all the things I've tried, this one was the clear winner.

Angry Korean - chicken wing in soy garlic sauce with honey - P195
I was also pleasantly surprised by the Angry Korean. This one had 3 wings but were bigger than most chicken wings you order from restaurants. The chicken was hot (temperature-wise), juicy, saucy and had the nice combination of spicy/salty/sweet. It can give Bonchon a run for its money. Best served with alcohol ;p

B&B Nachos - nacho chips with picadillo meat, fresh tomato salsa,
nacho cheese sauce, pickled jalapenos, sour cream - P240
The B&B Nachos was the most disappointing. It was just so ... ordinary. No personality at all. It is the same ones being sold by most restaurants. The chip at Chili's and Fridays are way better than this one. The B&B Nacho is also bit expensive. It would've been better if we skipped this one. 

Cucumber Mojito - P160, Dirty Arnold - P140;
This Little Piggy Went to the Bar - P200
Since the restaurant is Burger and Brewskies, of course expect a lot of alcohol drinks on the menu. They have local and imported beer but my friends and I were feeling fancy and opted for their B&B Infused Spirits. The prices were not actually not that bad. The drinks were delicious, had a bit of alcohol but not too much (I had a slight buzz going on at the end) and kudos for serving up some interesting combinations.

Complete drink menu here.


Lychee Martini - P60 (a steal!)
On the day we stopped by, they had happy hour and were offering some cocktails at discounted rates. The Classic Mojito, Margarita, Lychee Martini and something else (can't remember)was P60/drink available only from 6-9pm. I had the Lychee Martini. I wished it was way much colder but had no complaint about the amount of alcohol in the drink. Whew! I could smell how strong the drink was even before I took a sip. 


Located at Burgos Circle, the place is small and very casual. There were plenty of waitstaff and no problem catching their attention when you need anything. The items on the menu was very descriptive so you know exactly what you are ordering.



look at those beers ...... 

B&B
Final Verdict 

I like the fact that their burger patties taste and smell fresh. However, their flavor combination needs a bit of extra push on flavor. Overall, not bad. Better than your burger at the local fastfood place. I do wish, thought, that they would have thicker burger patties to have that big and juicy effect. 

They have a pretty good menu with lots of interesting items which I'd like to go back and try. Their drink menu is extensive and a good partner with their food. The side dishes were awesome (except the nachos). Overall, a very nice place to relax, have a good burger and drink a couple of beers with friends. Expect to pay around P500-P700 for burger, drink and appetizer to share. 


Burgers & Brewskies 
Unit E, Forbes Town Center
Burgos Circle, BGC
Open daily: Sunday-Thursday 11am-1130pm, Friday-Satruday 11am-2am.
Tel : 4034038

No comments:

Post a Comment