Friday, January 1, 2016

Balay Indang : Perfect Quiet Weekend Getaway


Tagaytay is usually the first place I think of when I want somewhere to relax. I find its proximity to Manila and vibe perfect. So when I wanted a quick getaway after my birthday, it was a no brainer that I started looking for a place in Tagaytay or somewhere near it.  I read other blogs for ideas and found Balay Indang.




Not sure if you can strictly call this a bed and breakfast place since they do not only serve breakfast but all the meals as well during your stay (package deal). 

                    felt a little bit like the grounds of Sonya's Garden         




Second floor of the main house
where they thoughtfully put a water cooler

plenty of daybeds to relax
... and magazines to read!


playground for kids
A short walk off the main building is the swimming pool and pavilion.The swimming pool was very simple. We didn't try it but the deep end looks like its about 4-5ft. 


The pavilion was really nice with several seating areas. At that time, there was a cool breeze and we didn't have to open the electric fans or big air coolers. 



 

super comfy sofa

Perfect for scrabble !
Inside the main house ...

view from the staircase 


The dining area had quite a number of mirrors (not sure why). The high ceiling made the area seemed large and airy.
                 

                                               
love the color pattern of the ceiling
                                                       
you can also dine outside 
I've read positive reviews about this place. Most especially about the food. The rate that was quoted for us which was P2700 (exlusive of service charge) / person includes the overnight stay and 5 meals (3 main and 2 snacks). 

Dinner 

Our first mistake was we stopped by LZM first in Tagaytay for a super late lunch before coming. By the time that they announced the final call for dinner at 7pm (dinner service 6pm-8pm), we were still feeling quite full.

Fresh salad 
Mushroom soup

The salad was very fresh and the dressing they used tasted a lot like the one at Sonya's. The mushroom soup was tasty but a bit clumpy. However, I didn't see that as a minus because it really tasted like they used actual mushroom and not the one from the can/packet. Wished they would have added a bit of cream though on top to make it more creamy.

Fried rice 
The Baked Salmon, although cooked well, lacked the creamy cheesy topping which I'm used to from Conti's. The Spareribs was really good. tender, juicy with the right amount of sweetness. Unfortunately, since we were still feeling full, we only finished half. Every other table finished theirs and requested for more.

Oh by the way, I didn't tell you the best part about this place. Although not buffet (food is served at your table), you can request for refill (!!!)

Barbequed Spareribs 
Baked Salmon

The shrimp balls below may not look appetizing but believe me, this is the dish. At her first bite, my friend raved about how good it was. When I expressed doubt, she bet me a dinner at Spirals (yes, Sofitel Spirals) that I would love it. Upon tasting, all I could say was Sayang naman yung Spirals ko. It was THAT good. Perfect blend of sweetness and crunchiness of the cereal with the savory shrimp. I ate these until I couldn't anymore. 

Cereal Shrimp Balls 
We had dalandan juice and dessert (forgot what). They also served tarragon tea but when my friend asked for coffee, the server could only give us the 3-in-1 pack because it was already late and apparently the person in charge of the supplies had already gone home. 



super happy friends
Breakfast 


Adobong chicken - nicely done with plenty of garlic 

Pipino (cucumber) in vinegar 

Ampalaya (bitter gourd)  - not as bitter as others I have tasted

Kaya Toast (toasted bread with coconut jam) - Loved it!

Danggit - Perfect with the sunny side egg served

Breakfast was also quite good. I like how they try to also serve vegetables to give balance to the meal. I don't recall if they asked us how we liked our eggs cooked but I liked mine the way they cooked it - sunny side up with the edges a little burnt. 

After breakfast, we went to the pavilion to have another round of scrabble.

:)

places to explore

AM Snack 

Morning snack was supposed to be something like sapin- sapin but  but it had coconut meat. So it was a hybrid between kakanin and buko pie. Weird but in a good way. We didn't really intend to eat because we were still full from breakfast so I didn't bring my camera. But then ....  :)

Lunch

Seriously, I feel like they are just fattening us up. I am still full from dinner (!), breakfast and snack and they were already announcing lunch. 



Tuna Pasta
Salad

The tuna was just okay, nothing special. 

Mechado
Creamy Seafood 
Of all the dishes I've tasted so far, I liked the mechado least. I felt they added ketchup? The creamy seafood dish was very good. I think they have fish fillet, squid and mussel (?).  You can't go wrong with cheese anyway.


Fried Chicken (yey)
Skewered Shrimp Marinated in Mango
The fried chicken was crunchy, juicy and heavenly. The white gravy was just okay. The skewered juicy, plump shrimp were fantastic with the delicate sauce. I think we asked for more.

Lunch 
After lunch, we went back to our room to rest. Who would've though that eating can be so tiring? Happy problems :) 

The "Isabel" room was located at the main building on the 2nd floor. It has 3 beds; 1 Queen Size bed, 1 double bed and 1 single bed. Has aircon, private toilet and bath, one chair and no TV. The sheets were clean and the pillow fluffy but firm.  






If there is one complaint I have about the room is that although there is a partition for the bathroom, the upper portion is hollow. Meaning that anyone in the room can hear or smell everything. Kaiirita (no english translation).


 
Since we came in very late in the afternoon the previous day, they allowed us to stay until 2pm the for our last meal. 

PM Snack 

Afternoon snack was a simple toasted ham and cheese sandwich with chips and coke. The ham was actually excellent as well as the cheese. The chips seems like the local kind. We really couldn't eat this anymore so we just took it home. 


Direction and Reservation

Reservation was a bit iffy. I called the number on their FB site a couple of times but nobody was picking up. I sent a text message and waited for about a day or two but there was no reply. I called again and finally able to talk to someone to request for the reservation which they verbally approved. They didn't ask for a deposit but I wanted to make sure so I asked that they confirm via text. No response. I sent another text reiterating my name, date, number of person and amount and asked for confirmation. They just replied the price per person. We went on the date I reserved and happily I did not encounter any problem with check in. 

picture sourced from another site as part of their wedding invitation - sorry 

The place is accessible to public transportation. I saw the San Agustin bus (I see these along Roxas Boulevard) terminal in the town itself and Balay Indang is just a couple of minutes outside the center. It's along a a busy road where Jeepneys and tricycle passes by. 

Final Verdict

Loved the ambiance of the place and I loved the food! Not only is the food really good but more than enough that I felt I got my money's worth (shrimp ball I miss you !!!)  The place is really relaxing and they provided enough places for guests to relax that you don't feel crowded. There is no TV and no Wifi but I don't feel that is a minus since it's kind of nice to just read, talk with friends and relax. The only negative is the not-so-private bathroom. 

Anyway, highly highly recommended!



ahhhh ...

Balay Indang
Address: 88 Mahabang Kahoy Cerca, Indang
Tel: 0917-8374261 / 0917-8665825 / 775-6886 
Email: bookings@balayindang.com














































No comments:

Post a Comment