Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Food Tripping in Tagaytay - Part 2

We were still pretty much full after our big lunch at Sonya's Garden but I convinced my friends that we should try this place that my friend, Tintin, recommended. I think the word "dessert" was all my friends needed to hear to agree with the slight detour.

Middle of Nowhere 

Going to Chateau Hestia is very easy IF you know where to look and you have a car. Coming from Sta Rosa, it's about 5 minutes before Tagaytay Road. Look for Rowena's pasalubong center on your left. Once you've seen this, turn right at the next street corner which is Lagusan Drive. The restaurant is very far from the main road and, like Sonya's Garden, is almost at the end of a fairly isolated road. Just follow the signs until you think you're lost and then you'll find it :D


restaurant was almost hidden because of all the plants

My first impression was that the place was a bit dark and gloomy. I liked it because there was only 1 other group (it was already 2 pm) and felt like we had the place to ourselves. The tables and chairs were mismatched, there were a lot of knicknacks, the restaurant overlooks a small but cute garden and at the end was a small nook where their deli was. Admittedly, it has a certain charm to it but I wouldn't want to stay overnight (too scared).



Leave Room for Dessert 

Chateau Hestia had a very extensive European menu with most of the items I'm not familiar with. The price is expensive (for me, at least) but very interesting. However, we were there for only 1 thing: dessert!

Love Triangle : mousse a chocolat, mango napoleon and panna cota P450 

Absolutely fell in love with Panna Cota at first taste. I don't normally like Panna Cota. For me, it's just a wussy man's version of leche flan and often tastes like a slightly milkier version of my mom's gelatin. But Chateau Hestia's version with passion fruit jam was very good (although it looked a bit weird). The slight sour taste of the passion fruit gave way to this very creamy Panna Cota - a surprisingly excellent combination. By this dessert alone, I could have declared our trip out there a success but of course there were other desserts I had to try.

The Mousse a Chocolat was basically like a pot de creme; rich, very chocolaty and smooth. I wish this were on top of a chocolate cake. Good to the last scrapping of the spoon. Too bad the serving was so small - in a shot glass and not even full, for goodness sake.

The weakest dessert of the trio was the Mango Napoleon which I thought tasted like the one you make at home with graham cracker, nestle cream and mangoes. Nothing special really.


Pate de Sable P175
Since the servings were tiny, we ordered one more dessert - Pate de Sable. Its chocolate wafer, espresso ice cream and toffee glaze frozen as ice cream. Sounds sosyal, no? But basically its ice cream cake and not really a good one at that. I didn't get much of the toffee part and the ice cream tasted like Nestle. My money is still with TGIF Mocha Mudpie, sorry.

I wish this was all mine :( but I had to share 

gigantic German doughnuts with apricot filing - almost as
big as the cash register :  P95
The verdict?

It looks promising and there are some items that piqued my interest but it is expensive and serving size is only good for one. Might be worth going back to if you have money. You will definitely need a car.

Chateau Hestia
Purok 5 Brgy Bukal
Silang, Cavite
Tel 0929-7113289
Email info@chateauhestia.com

open Wednesdays - Sundays



No comments:

Post a Comment