Friday, April 19, 2013

Going Bananas over Banapple

Whenever I want good food but don't want to spend too much, I head to Banapple located at Ayala Triangle. This tiny restaurant is always crowded even on a Saturday afternoon but if you're patient enough, you won't regret it.

Saturday afternoon

My favorite is their Creamy Cheesy Penne described perfectly in their menu as a dish of luscious white cheese sauce and meaty tomato sauce with al dente penne pasta and sauteed hungarian sausage served with pesto bread. I assure you that this is not false advertising at all. Even their pandesal is delicious! Although the serving is good for more than one person, I really don't mind going solo on this.

Creamy Cheesy Penne ((P185)

Their Bacon Fried Chicken Steak is a also very good. After eating this one, I don't think you'll go back to eating boring chicken fingers. The chicken fillet is crispy yet tender and the gravy has just the right amount of saltiness. The actual surprise is their rice which I found to be very flavorful. I can't quite put my finger on what they added to make the rice delicious.

Bacon Fried Chicken Steaks with Milk'shroom Gravy P175
Their Hickory Ribs is meaty, very tender, good enough for two and really had this smoky hickory flavor. My only complaint is that they used too much sauce and sometimes the hickory flavor overwhelms the meat. When you order this, try to ask if they can put the sauce on the side. You might be tempted to order another plate of rice.


Hickory Smoked Barbecued Ribs (P185)

The Banapple Beef and Sausage Stew is my least favorite. Although the beef was tender, I was looking for that "hibla" (lack of a better term) effect when you use a fork to cut into it. Their sauce does not taste stew - like and the sausage is not that good.

Banapple Beef and Sausage Stew P195

The Trio of Sausage Fettuccine was a surprise.The menu described this as protein packed pasta with crumbled chorizo, garlic longganisa, and hungarian sausage, tossed in garlic parmesan cheese and a very light cream sauce. First, the sauce was not really that light. In fact, it reminds me of Carbonara. I'm not sure, though, if the different kinds of meat go well together. Saying that, this pasta dish is a good enough dish.

Trio of Sausage Fettucine P180
If you are a fan of cheese (like me), their Lasagna Roll Ups might be what you want. Its lasagna rolled up with herb cream cheese filing topped with their tomato meat sauce and mozarella. This dish is meant to be shared since the serving is more than enough for one person. The filing is not stingy and is, indeed, creamy. My philosophy has always been : cheese makes everything better :D

Lasagna Roll Ups P180 (photo courtesy of www.philippine-travel-guide.com)

Ironically, for a place known for their pies and cheesecakes, I am not that enamored with their desserts. Their signature dessert, Banoffee Pie, has too much whipped cream and not enough filing. Unfortunately, their other desserts were not that memorable either.

Banoffee Pie (P110)

Desserts were not that spectacular but that doesn't prevent us from
trying most of them ;p

My niece with their Hallow Mallow S'mores Pie P110

What I Like About Banapple

Their food is usually very very good. I don't mind ordering the same dishes over and over again since I know I won't be disappointed. Servings is good for 1-2 persons but best of all - the price is really reasonable. Main dish costs cost less than P200, dessert about P110. Tax already included! For a group of 2-3 persons, expect to shell about P200 - P250 each.

What I Hate About Banapple

Their place at Ayala Triangle is sooo tiny. They only have about 8 small tables inside and 6 small tables outside almost spilling out on to the sidewalk. The counter where you place your order doesn't have enough space and customers line up in between tables. There is no separate counter for take outs so while waiting, you just stand in the middle. They don't announce when your food is up so you just watch the servers and ask them occasionally if your order is ready.  Tables are cute but small and uncomfortable. Same with the chairs. Due to the small space, there are a lot of people waiting in line and you cannot reserve a table in advance. Have a big group? Forget about it. The likelihood of 2 or more tables freeing up at the same time is almost nil.

The Verdict?

If you're hungry and want to enjoy your meal at a leisurely pace, forget about it. This place is not for you. But if you want very good yet affordable food and you're willing to be patient, then I highly recommend you try Banapple.

Happy Eating!

Banapple Pies and Cheesecake
Ayala Triangle Gardens
Ayala Avenue, Makati
Tel (02) 7562675

No comments:

Post a Comment