Friday, December 26, 2014

Deco's La Paz Batchoy: Going Back to Basic

For some reason, when I'm in Iloilo, I always go to LaPaz market for my Batchoy fix. I'm sure some of my friends think I'm weird. There was even this taxi driver in Iloilo who outright laughed at me when I told him why I'm going to LaPaz market and suggested that I go to the mall instead. Hmph! Pake mo, kuya? Walang basagan ng trip.

Anyways I always go to Deco's, a small restaurant just on the front side of the La Paz marketplace.

allegedly the "original" La Paz Batchoy

small restaurant with 6 small tables but air-conditioned

Batchoy is a noodle soup made with pork organs, crushed pork cracklings,chicken stockbeef loin and round noodles.[1] Its origins can be traced to the district of La Paz, Iloilo City in the Philippines, hence it is often referred to as La Paz Batchoy. (source: Wikepedia

We ordered "Extra" which is P80 per bowl

Here is my take on Deco's Batchoy version: The bowl is good for one hungry person. The noodles, thankfully, did not have that bitter aftertaste like some noodle soups do. There were plenty of "laman" and it tasted fresh. The chicharon was just okay and did not add much to the Batchoy except to give some texture. The broth was nicely flavored. Although initially we thought of adding pepper or patis, we were glad we didn't since it developed more flavor as we slurped our way to the bottom.

It was a nice, rich-tasting soup with little/no frills that's perfect for breakfast.

ready for close-up :)

mom enjoying her breakfast Batchoy

simple menu
Since I am not so fond of puto (steamed rice cake), I bought an Ube Brazo De Mercedes slice from the bakeshop two or three shops away from Deco's. It was really, really (really!) good. It wasn't so pretty to look at but outer meringue layer was just perfectly soft and not too sweet while the customary custard filling was replaced by real honest-to-goodness ube jam.

If we weren't going to Bacolod after, I am sure my mom would have bought 1-2 rolls to take home.

Ube Brazo De Mercedes - P28 per slice 

worth dropping by 

Final Verdict 

Can you get the same Batchoy in the mall for the same taste and price? Probably. Is the one at Deco's the best tasting Batchoy ever? Not sure. But there is something to be said about going to the place where the food originated. So, I would definitely suggest dropping by at Deco's to taste some of the local flavor. Don't forget to eat a slice of Ube Brazo de Mercedes!

Direction:

Ask the taxi driver to drop you off at La Paz Marketplace. It should be just in front near the entrance or just ask the locals. The bakeshop is just 2-3 shops away and located on the corner.

No comments:

Post a Comment