Saturday, December 27, 2014

Roberto's: King and Queen of Siopao


Years ago, I visited Iloilo with a friend of mine who was originally from there. I remember she took us to this small shop where she said had the best siopao (steamed bun filled with savory meat) in town. I don't remember much about the place but I did remember that the siopao was good.

Fast forward to today, my sister heard about this place in Iloilo that sells, allegedly, the best siopao in town. I wanted to see if its the same one where my friend took me. On our way to the wharf where the ferries are going to Bacolod, we asked our driver to make a quick stop at Roberto's.

:)
I've read that this place is known for it's big siopao and the fact that you do not need any "sauce" to add to it. The most popular ones are the King and Queen siopao. Both has the chicken, pork, adobo and egg. But the King Siopao had the ham-chinese sausage while the Queen Siopao has the bacon-chinese sausage.

"Ang siopao wala sauce?"

busy store

Baon

almost as big as my sis face!
The Roberto siopao dough was very soft. There was so much filling inside and, indeed, no sauce is needed. The ham in the King siopao is more noticeable than the bacon in the Queen siopao, both are equally delicious. My only complaint is that it was too buhaghag (loose, not adhesive) when you bite into it. It makes eating it so unnecessarily messy. I am just sorry that I didn't take a picture of the inside.

Final Verdict

Nice enough siopao but I am still partial to the one at Emerald in Manila. 

Contact Info:

Roberto’s Siopao 
#61 J.M. Basa Street Iloilo City
Tel. No. 3350484-3371595

No comments:

Post a Comment